Sunday, December 21, 2014

Awkward Moments

In the latest saga of the chapter of the story of my life over the past month, I've encountered a couple awkward situations: finding people you already know, and encounters with people you've seen on an online dating site but aren't quite sure if it's that person.  I think the former is a bit easier than the latter, especially if you have some form of contact outside of the dating site such as e-mail or social media.  A private note exclaiming: "Hey! So I'm single and on this dating site and was searching through people, and found this extremely good looking person who looked familiar.  Let's just say that this person reminded me of you, and made me think that I haven't seen you in XX years. How about we meet for drinks to catch up on things?"

If only things were that easy for the other side... How exactly do you approach someone that you barely know (and are even possibly just assuming it's that person)?  The case is made even worse when the online alias is something like "cuddlybear17x17" or "thisisnotmyrealname".  What kind of conversation starter is that, to go up to someone and ask them if they're "anotheralias101", from this online dating site?  Or, maybe it's better to wait until you get home and shoot a message through the site asking if they were at some place and you really weren't stalking them but had legitimate reasons to be there like your cousin's car was on fire and you just happened to be en-route to the scene?  I think I just answered my questions....

No comments:

Post a Comment